Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week Two Blog

Week Two Blog
                I think that the article this week made me begin thinking about adult education and what it means to the larger community. I feel that the community is really a place where learning can and should take place. For example, recently in my neighborhood a new community center was built for young adults. I went over to see what the community center was all about. I was told that the center was used to provide classrooms to individuals who wanted to host lessons. There were classes for young mothers, GED programs, etc. I also loved that there was a dance studio and even a record studio where budding artists and musicians could create their music. There was an art room for students to take art classes. I was told that if you had a proposal and curriculum, you could present a class to board that you would like to teach and upon approval, you would be designated a class room and time. I thought that was so cool.
                I notice that after school, many teenagers in the neighborhood used the community as an after school place to hang out. During the day, the center was used mostly by older adults taking different classes. I thought that this center provided the community not only with a different place to go but also a place to continue learning. What stuck out to me, after reading the article and reflecting on the community center, was that there are so many ways in which this center could be utilized as a learning community. Right now, since the center is still fairly new, I don’t think that it is being used to its full potential. In the future though, I can see this center becoming an excellent community to continue facilitating development and learning in members of the community. I also do not believe that learning is always simply about reading and writing, GED classes or college preparation. These things are important as well. But I think learning how to be a mature individual, what it means to be a man or a woman, how to appropriately use technology, sexual health and safety, physical health education, etc. are issues that often times ignored. I feel that these are lessons people need, especially in community. I feel that especially now schools are focused on preparing students to successfully pass standardized test so that the school doors are not shut down. Leadership, analytical, critical thinking skills, etc. are not the focus and are sometimes forgotten about. These community centers can be used to supplement these lessons. It is important that these learning communities focus on issues that are currently affecting their members on a day-to-day basis. I hope that the community center in my neighborhood provides these opportunities to individuals that have found a home within their building. One day I hope to be able to teach a class if I am able to.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm....I would like to visit that community center! How does this community center compare with our readings. For example, how would Hugo describe the community(ies) served by this center? In your blog, be sure to connect your experiences to our readings.

    ReplyDelete