This week’s article focused on how a variety of experiences can impact a student’s literary learning before they even enter a school setting. One thing that stood out to me was the cultural impact that was mentioned in the article. The article shared that Amy was influenced by the mix of cultures that she was surrounded by: Her parent’s Asian heritage, the Canadian culture they currently exist in which is also influenced by a French presence in the country. All of these different cultures impact the way Amy learns as well as what she learns. Growing up in Belize, I could relate to the impact of different cultures on my learning experiences. A mix of cultures in Belize including Latino, Caribbean, and English influences, played a big role in my education. I feel that there are positive benefits to this. Unfortunately, when I came to Chicago I assimilated into American culture because I did not want to stand out or seem different from my peers. I was embarrassed of my cultural differences. In reflection, I wish that I did not do this. By having a variety of influences that, Amy will have a different experiences that she can use to her benefit. I really liked that the author shared that Amy literary education included practical examples, such as her father teaching her alphabets using everyday items. Amy also developed different traits from her informal learning experience that other children would not receive, such as the interpersonal skills she developed from speaking to customers or the work ethic she sees from her parents’ example. While these lessons may be learned in an unorthodox way, Amy can benefit from these experiences if her educators are able to recognize the importance of these experiences. This article reminded me of how important it is for me as an educator to take my students cultural experiences into consideration. The article highlighted some important issues that I have not considered before.
No comments:
Post a Comment