Week Three Blog
This week’s discussion focused on the communities we belong to. As I was thinking about what community to describe that I belong to, I began to realize that I belong to a variety of different communities. Sometimes, I find that the different communities I belong to have conflicting ideas or beliefs though and that can be frustrating to deal with. For example, in my religion, Seventh Day Adventist, homosexuality is wrong. And while I am not a homosexual, I do believe that everyone has the right to be who they are and their relationship with G-d, or lack therefore, is between them and whoever they may or may not believe in. I remember over last Thanksgiving, I was speaking to my cousin about this. She could not understand how I could say I loved G-d and believe in what’s written in the bible but I was ok with homosexuality. Another frustration I have is that in my religion, I am told that women cannot be pastors because the bible states that men should be the spiritual leaders in the household. At the same time, as a feminist, I feel that women are just as capable as any man to lead a church and serve as a spiritual leader. It’s very hard sometimes when the different beliefs of the multiple communities I belong to begin to conflict. Which side do I pick? What role should I play? If I chose to belong to one community does that mean I must adhere to every rule or social norm dictated by that community? What about communities I have not chosen to be a part of, I just happen to be a part of them? Such as being a woman. I don’t know how many times I have been told to act like a lady, where a dress, learn how to cook, etc. Does the fact that I don’t adhere to all these rules make me less of a woman? I find it frustrating sometimes that simply belong to a community. I wonder how others handle dealing with these contradictions that occur in relation to the communities they belong to.
Thoughtful reflection on your personal community.
ReplyDelete