Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Week FOurteen

This last week has been very hectic for me. Trying to finish all the papers and projects for my classes before the end of the semester has been very time consuming. I found the seminar presentation to be challenging as well. I have never added audio to a power point presentation before. I liked the fact that the paper allowed me an opportunity to reflect on my tutoring experience. The story that stood out to me in particular, my interaction with the parent, did not seem as important to me at the time the event occurred. After the class readings this semester though, I realized how important that experience was. I was able to connect my experience to the ideas that I have learned in class. The meaning of a bystander in particular became more evident to me. Over this past semester, the Shelby County and Memphis City school merger was a big issue. In many of my classes, this issue became a reoccurring discussion. I remember in one discussion post I shared that I felt I was unable to personally relate to the issue because I was not from Memphis and I did not currently have any family members in the school system. During my tutoring program though, I realized that I was impacted by the issue. The students I worked with would be affected by the merger and their success could be potential impacted by the outcome of the merger. I have learned that in the grand scheme of things, whether or not I am directly impacted by an issue, the effect that an issue has on those around me in my community while affect me as well. I have learned through this project that simply being a bystander because the issue is not about me is no longer an option. By becoming more aware of the social injustices in our society, I am learning that I have more power to make a change than I previously realized.

1 comment:

  1. Samantha, I have thoroughly enjoyed the deep reflections in your April blogs.

    ReplyDelete